OPPO today hosted its OPPO Flash Charge Open Day in China with the theme of What’s Next for Flash Charging?. At this event, the brand unveiled its latest achievements and research in fast charging technology and the development of its VOOC Flash Charge solution. With these new innovations, OPPO once again offers smarter and more secure fast charging functions for an optimal user experience.
VOOC Flash Charge
“OPPO’s development of its VOOC Flash Charge technology is based on innovation across the board, such as the charging adapter, charging cable, PMIC, battery and more,” said Jeff Zhang, Chief Scientist of OPPO VOOC Flash Charge. “Whether users choose wired or wireless charging, VOOC fast charging technology can now meet a wide range of needs when it comes to charging electronic devices, even in the most extreme conditions.”
OPPO has always put efficiency and safety at the forefront when developing its fast charging technology. Based on this, OPPO has introduced a five-way protection system to improve the safety of VOOC fast charging. In addition, OPPO has explored how new materials, AI algorithms, charging architectures and other factors can be used to enable further innovations:
- Lower impedance fuse: The improved fuse design has a lower internal resistance and optimized performance, further improving the safety of the charging system. In the event of an electrical current overload or other abnormality, the fuse in the five-way fast charging safety system can immediately protect and isolate the battery from the electricity supply.
- Gallium Nitride (GaN) Switches: OPPO has used GaN switches for its smartphones for the first time. Not only can these switches achieve the same functionality as traditional silicon MOSFET switches on a smaller scale, requiring less space, but their low impedance and high voltage operation help reduce heat generation and improve charging efficiency and reliability.
- Internal bi-cell design: A series of bi-cell batteries makes it possible to deliver the same power while lowering the electrical current and reducing heat generation. The internal bi-cell design takes it one step further by combining these dual battery cells in the same structure, taking up less space while still delivering the same safety performance. The new design provides an increase in battery capacity of at least 5% for a battery of the same size.
- Battery Safety Detection Chip: OPPO’s proprietary battery safety detection chip with built-in AI algorithms can detect whether batteries have suffered external damage by recognizing and responding to real-time voltage drops based on a series of scenarios. The smartphone will then warn the user and take additional security measures to prevent further hazards.
- Composite Current Collector: OPPO has developed a safety battery with a completely new composite current collector. The battery uses a new composite material sandwiched between two aluminum layers, which replaces the standard aluminum-only battery design. This ”sandwich” structure is further coated with an additional protective material to form the five-layer composite current collector structure. This protects the battery from short circuits caused by external damage for better safety. Research results in the OPPO Lab show that the new battery passes leak and crash tests with a 100% pass rate, without compromising on performance.
OPPO also unveiled its new smart charging technology at the event. Designed to keep the charging speed within the safest possible range, the technology adjusts the charging current based on intelligent detection of different charging scenarios. This can also help reduce the occurrence of unusual battery aging, allowing users to enjoy optimal battery life over a longer period of time. The smart charging technology can deliver noticeable improvements to multiple aspects of battery performance, including:
- Longer battery life: While guaranteeing the speed of 65W SuperVOOC and full charge/discharge of the battery, the technology is able to maintain battery capacity up to 80% of its original capacity after as many as 1,500 charging sessions.
- Improved loading speed in specific scenarios: The charging speed can be increased depending on specific situations based on the maximum power that the battery can usually safely absorb. In the case of 65W SuperVOOC, it is able to increase the speed by about 20%, allowing a full charge of a 4500mAh battery in 30 minutes.
- Balance between charging speed and phone temperature: The technology is intelligently able to find the best balance between the optimal charging current and the subsequent temperature rise under different usage scenarios. In this way, users can operate their phone during fast charging without any inconvenience
In addition to making VOOC Flash Charge as safe and smart as possible, OPPO has also explored ways to optimize the fast charging technology under more extreme situations. For example, it can be difficult to charge a lithium-ion battery in very cold environments, where forcing the battery can even cause a short circuit. OPPO’s ultra-low-temperature charging solution uses smart algorithms to determine the optimal charging temperature of the battery and increase the temperature before charging begins. Test results show that the battery can rise in temperature from -20 to 10 degrees Celsius in just tens of seconds, allowing the battery to charge normally.
From the introduction of VOOC Flash Charge in 2014, security, efficiency and ease of use have been three of the core areas contributing to OPPO’s R&D in battery and charging technology. As of June 30, 2021, OPPO has already applied for more than 3,000 patents related to fast charging technology. Through more than 30 devices that support VOOC Flash Charge technology, OPPO has brought this fast, convenient and safe charging experience to more than 195 million people worldwide.
In 2021, OPPO launched its new project ‘The Flash Initiative’ that brings its proprietary VOOC technology to cars, public spaces and chips in a wide range of devices. In the Internet Of Experience era, OPPO’s fast charging technology is evolving to provide consumers with a next-generation charging experience that excels in any situation, allowing users to charge their devices anytime, anywhere.